Real Time Web Analytics

Monday, 12 August 2013

Horseback riders who ran into California teen, abductor said they looked out of place in Idaho wilderness

Horseback riders who encountered a missing California teen and she said Sunday that "red flags” went up for them because the pair seemed out of place in the rugged Idaho back country, refusing to give many details on where they were heading or what they were doing.
At a news conference in Boise, the four riders - two men and two women - said they came across 16-year-old Hannah Anderson and 40-year-old James Lee DiMaggio on Wednesday morning.
“I’ve spent a lot of time in the back country and usually you don’t run into somebody wearing pajamas, “mike a 62-year-old resident from Sweet, said about Anderson's attire. 
Young said he had a "gut feeling that they didn't belong" in the area and when trying to talk to Anderson, she “kind of had a scared look on her face” and kept trying to look away. "They didn't fit," said 71-year-old Mike John, who is a former sheriff's deputy from Gem County. "He might have been an outdoorsman in California but he was not an outdoors man in Idaho ... Red flags kind of went up."
John described how he saw DiMaggio sitting on the side of a trail petting a gray cat. He feared that the cat would attract wolves to the area.
“All of their gear [also] looked like
it was brand new -- that was another flag that this wasn’t normal or natural,” John added.
John said when he returned home he saw an Amber Alert that had been sent out for Anderson, and he contacted police.
Brett Anderson, the father of 16-year-old Hannah Anderson, when a detective handed him a phone Saturday and he was told that Hannah was safe.  He said he planned to tell her that he loves her when they reunite for the first time since the kidnapping at an Idaho hospital on Sunday.
FBI agents are now processing evidence at the campsite in central Idaho's Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness where they first discovered Anderson and DiMaggio.
Law enforcement agents first spotted two people who looked like Anderson and DiMaggio on Saturday afternoon, as they flew over the wilderness area in a plane, according to a statement from Ado County Sheriff's spokeswoman Andrea Deaden.
The air was filled with smoke blown in from distant wildfires, and that made both flying and seeing the ground tough, Deaden said. The law enforcement commanders decided to send in an FBI Hostage Rescue Team immediately to get Hannah while they could.
The mountainous area is extremely steep, and the closest point where the helicopters could drop the team was more than a two-hour hike away. The agents crept close to the camp.
The FBI moved the teen to an area where she could be picked up by a helicopter. The FBI won't release details about what happened between DiMaggio and law enforcement at the campsite until an investigation is complete, other than to say DiMaggio was killed. DiMaggio was killed around 7:15 p.m. ET on Saturday.
FBI Special Agent in Charge Mary Rook from Salt Lake City said the FBI will continue to work with law enforcement in both Idaho and California as the case transitions back to the San Diego.
Anderson appeared to be uninjured and was taken to an Idaho hospital where crisis counselors and health care providers were assisting her. Her father was expected to arrive in Idaho on Sunday to reunite with her.
"We will make sure she gets as much care as possible, physically and emotionally," said Deaden.
A contingent of about 270 law enforcement officers from the FBI, the Valley and Ado County sheriffs' offices, Idaho State Police, the U.S. Marshals Service, and the Border Patrol, aided by experts from federal land management and wildlife agencies, worked around the clock to figure out the best way to track DiMaggio and the teen in the road less area.
 "She is a strong girl, she made it this far and all we can do is hope that whatever help she needs to get through this,” he added. 
Anderson also said the Amber Alerts sent out for Hannah made a “big difference” in the search to find her.
“Kudos to law enforcement,” Anderson said. “They did an excellent job and I can never show my appreciation enough to anybody out there that showed us love and support; terrific country, love you guys.”
Investigators believe that after killing Christine and Ethan Anderson, DiMaggio set fire to his log cabin and detached garage and fled with Hannah Anderson in tow. “She didn't know how to tell anyone."
DiMaggio, telecommunications technician at The Scripps Research Institute in San Diego, was planning to move to Texas and invited Christina Anderson and the children to his home last weekend to say goodbye, Christopher So income, Christina Anderson's father, told AP. It's unclear how Christina Anderson and her son Ethan were killed, though police believe the crime was planned.

For more information about NEWS and Other Information please visit our website.